On 24/11/2008, at 1:50 PM, Colin Hales wrote:

> It seems that the last thing physicists want to do is predict
> themselves. They do absolutely "everything" except that. When they
> say "everything" in a "Theory of Everything", that's what they
> actually mean: Everything except physicists (and their P-
> consciousness).

Yes. It's 2,000+ years of:

The eye cannot see itself in action (EVEN in a mirror - try catching
your eye in the act of moving when you have a shave tomorrow)

The tongue cannot taste itself (except after a hangover maybe)

The hammer cannot hit itself (always wondered about this one...)

The boot drive in your PC cannot analyse any problems it might be
having IF the diagnostic software is run out of the boot drive (very
sad, that)

You cannot tell that the Earth is round if you are standing on it
(senses bedevil the intellect)

You cannot tell if the Sun goes round the Earth or the Earth goes
round the Sun if you are standing on the one or the other (ditto)

You cannot be sure if you are sane or insane ('Cogito ergo sum' is
therefore nonsense - somebody tell poor old René)

You cannot tell if you are a self-referentially correct machine or not
(Go Bruno!)

You cannot be sure that anybody else exists apart from your experience
of them (GO the solipsists!!!)

You cannot tell if we are a simulation or the real McCoy - whatever
that is (GO Nick Bostrom!!!)

You cannot tell whether the temporary equilibrium that is Nothing will
break down at some time and become ????

Well - it already has, hasn't it? Isn't that why we are here?

So - in answer to the question "Why is there something rather than
nothing?" - I believe the answer to be:

"Nonsense. Nothing exists."

cheers,

Kim