I don't know about anyone else, but with the volume of mail we're getting
lately, I've been skimming things and have started to lose the plot
completely.

So, perhaps it's time for a fresh start. My idea of where we are is this:

Physical causality is just a 'linkage' between states - it's nothing more
than a rule for going from one place to another (be it a discrete jump or a
continuous trajectory), and taking a block view of time it can be
represented not as a distinction between states and links but just as
states. Hence any phenomena relying on a causal process is also encapsulated
by a static snapshot. Thence, consciousness is not created by the universe,
but merely implies/creates its own universe/causal context around it.

Damn, I try and make something make more sense and end up typing confusing
babble like that!