Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2008, at 15:56, Abram Demski wrote:
>
>> Bruno,
>>
>>> The argument was more of the type : "removal of unnecessay and
>>> unconscious or unintelligent parts. Those parts have just no
>>> perspective. If they have some perpective playing arole in Alice's
>>> consciousness, it would mean we have not well chosen the substitution
>>> level. You are reintroducing some consciousness on the elementary
>>> parts, here, I think.
>>>
>> The problem would not be with removing individual elementary parts and
>> replacing them with functionally equivalent pieces; this obviously
>> preserves the whole. Rather with removing whole subgraphs and
>> replacing them with equivalent pieces. As Alice-in-the-cave is
>> supposed to show, this can remove consciousness, at least in the limit
>> when the entire movie is replaced...
>

> The limit is not relevant. I agrre that if you remove Alice, you
> remove any possibility for Alice to manifest herself in your most
> probable histories. The problem is that in the range activity of the
> projected movie, removing a part of the graph change nothing. It
> changes only the probability of recoevering Alice from her history in,
> again, your most probable history.

Isn't this reliance on probable histories assuming some physical theory that is
no in evidence?

>IThere are no physical causal link
> between the experience attributed to the physical computation and the
> "causal history of projecting a movie".

But there is a causal history for the creation of the movie - it's a recording
of Alice's brain functions which were causally related to her physical world.

>The incremental removing of
> the graph hilighted the lack of causality in the movie.

It seems to me there is still a causal chain - it is indirected via creating
the
movie.

Brent