Bruno,

I think I see better now. Here is my explanation of why the causality
I am invoking is not "magical" (and why it may not be an objection to
your argument after all).

Generally, the way I was viewing your argument was in terms of a
hypothetical definition of consciousness, X, that is to be supplied by
the reader of the argument. In other words, the reader comes to the
argument having their personal definition, X. X is basically treated
as an arbitrary choice of computations (/ physical configurations)
that the reader has chosen to label "conscious".

The arguments (both UDA and MGA) then go on to reason about X using
some commonalities between most people's personal definitions of
consciousness, and taking into account some possible variations where
there is not enough commonality for the argument to be taken through.

So, when I am talking about an X that depends on hypotheticals, I am
NOT saying that inert matter magically causes consciousness-- I am
saying instead that the definition of consciousness depends on the
hypotheticals. Basically, I am saying "a definition of consciousness
that does not require hypotheticals is not interesting to me-- I don't
see why I would worry about an entity defines in that way". (So it is
irrelevant of the word "conscious", it is the logical form that is
interesting/uninteresting or useful/not).

You, on the other hand, are talking about first-person-experience.
That is a different matter...

Does that make sense?

--Abram