Quentin,

you are, it seems to me, simply reproducing the MGA. You are assuming a
(material) computer on which the AI+environment run - relatively to us,
this will never be conscious - but it _could_ be conscious relatively to
other computations in Platonia.

To make an AI conscious relatively to us, you have to keep it's
counterfactual structure and intricate causal dynamics relating it to
the _our_ environment intact - otherwise it will not be conscious (for us).

This is not strange - a human who loses parts of his thalamocortical
structure (assuming he has an accident and is being kept alive by
medical machines) will also cease to be conscious - see for instance
Tononi, 2004. (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2202/5/42) (open
access, good paper). At least, he will cease to be conscious relatively
to those worlds where he has the accident.

I guess it boils down to the fact that you can't take parts of the
metaphysics and ignore the implications.

Assuming that computation suffices for AI _automatically_ leads to a
view which makes computational states conscious relative to some worlds
but not to others.

That is relative state with a vengeance.

Cheers,
Günther