On 24 Feb 2009, at 03:04, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> 2009/2/24 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:
>
>> I tend to agree with Quentin that memories are an essential
>> component of
>> personal identity.  But that also raises a problem with ideas like
>> "observer moments" and "continuity".  Almost all my memories are not
>> being remembered at an given time.  Some I may not recall for years
>> at a
>> time.  I may significant periods of time in which I am not
>> consciously
>> recalling any memories.  So then how can memories and continuity be
>> essential?  I practice we rely on continuity of the body and then
>> ask,
>> "Does this body have (some) appropriate memories?"
>
> The continuity is contingent on having access to the relevant memories
> as required. If you are listening to a recording the parts where the
> music plays must be from that particular recording, but the silent
> parts could as easily be from any other recording. In the same way, if
> you are staring at a blank wall thinking of nothing for a moment, then
> during that moment you might be a generic human having such a similar
> experience.

Exactly (assuming comp). That is even the reason why amnesia can led
to fusion of first persons.
And given that there is (or should be) a notion of first person
plural, with duplication of collection of people, there must be in
"nature" a similar fusion process, and quantum erasing phenomenon is
the normal candidate.