2009/2/28 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>:

> It leads to a very complex question: should we allow people to torture
> their doppelganger, for example as a ritual or sexual practice? Of
> course not without their consent, given that the golden ethical rule
> with comp is "don't do to the other what the other does not want you
> to do on him/her (except to save your soul)". But could someone makes
> the decision before the duplication? This is an advanced question
> which will make sense when we will all be virtual (with respect of the
> physical layer). Comp is consistent with a variety of answers.
> Less provocative, a similar question is: do I have the right to
> reconstitute an army of "Bruno" to extinguish a nuclear energy source
> which is on fire?

Assuming I were completely selfish and ruthless, I would not agree in
advance to do anything that would hurt my copy before the copy was
made, since I might end up being the copy. But after the copying this
would no longer be a consideration, and I would not hesitate to hurt
the copy or the original (depending on which one I was) no matter how
short the time since differentiation.

--
Stathis Papaioannou