  From: Bruno Marchal
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:20 PM
  Subject: Re: The seven step series

  Marty,

  Brent wrote:

  On 21 Jul 2009, at 23:24, Brent Meeker wrote:

    Take all strings of length 2
    00             01                   10               11
    Make two copies of each
    00      00      01      01      10      10      11      11
    Add a 0 to the first and a 1 to the second
    000    001      010   011      100   101   110      111
    and you have all strings of length 3.

  Then you wrote

    I can see where adding 0 to the first and 1 to the second gives 000 and 001
and I think I see how you get 010 but the rest of the permutations don't seem
obvious to me. P-l-e-a-s-e  explain,  Best,

                                                                    m.
(mathematically hopeless)  a.

  Let me rewrite Brent's explanation, with a tiny tiny tiny improvement:

  Take all strings of length 2
  00
  01
  10
  11
  Make two copies of each

  first copy:
  00
  01
  10
  11

  second copy
  00
  01
  10
  11

  add a 0 to the end of the strings in the first copy, and then add a 1  to the
end of the strings in the second copy:

  first copy:
  000
  010
  100
  110

  second copy
  001
  011
  101
  111

  You get all 8 elements of B_3.

  You can do the same reasoning with the subsets. Adding an element to a set
multiplies by 2 the number of elements of the powerset:

  Exemple. take a set with two elements {a, b}. Its powerset is {{ } {a} {b}
{a, b}}. How to get all the subset of {a, b, c} that is the set coming from
adding c to {a, b}.

  Write two copies of the powerset of {a, b}

  { }
  {a}
  {b}
  {a, b}

  { }
  {a}
  {b}
  {a, b}

  Don't add c to the set in the first copy, and add c to the sets in the second
copies. This gives

  { }
  {a}
  {b}
  {a, b}

  {c}
  {a, c}
  {b, c}
  {a, b, c}

  and that gives all subsets of {a, b, c}.

  This is coherent with interpreting a subset {a, b} of a set {a, b, c}, by a
string like 110, which can be conceived as a shortand for

  Is a in the subset?   YES, thus 1
  Is b in the subset?   YES thus  1
  Is c in the subset?    NO thus   0.

  OK?

  You say also:

    The example of Mister X only confuses me more.

  Once you understand well the present post, I suggest you reread the Mister X
examples, because it is a key in the UDA reasoning. If you still have problem
with it, I suggest you quote it, line by line, and ask question. I will answer
(or perhaps someone else).

  Don't be afraid to ask any question. You are not mathematically hopeless. You
are just not familiarized with reasoning in math. It is normal to go slowly. As
far as you can say "I don't understand", there is hope you will understand.

  Indeed, concerning the UDA I suspect many in the list cannot say "I don't
understand", they believe it is philosophy, so they feel like they could object
on philosophical ground, when the whole point is to present a deductive
argument in a theory. So it is false, or you have to accept the theorem in the
theory. It is a bit complex, because it is an "applied theory". The mystery are
in the axioms of the theory, as always.

  So please ask *any* question. I ask this to everyone. I am intrigued by the
difficulty some people can have with such reasoning (I mean the whole UDA
here). (I can understand the shock when you get the point, but that is always
the case with new results: I completely share Tegmark's idea that our brain
have not been prepared to have any intuition when our mind try to figure out
what is behind our local neighborhood).