Rex Allen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:21 AM, Brent Meeker<> wrote:
>>> The living brain and the executing computer program both just
>>> represent the contents of my conscious experience, in the same way
>>> that a map represents the actual terrain.
>> When you set fire to a map the land doesn't burn.
> If you set fire to the computer running the simulation of my brain and
> it's virtual environment, would my conscious experience burn?
No, it would cease.  But note that you've changed to a virtual
environment in which the whole world is simulated - not just your brain
interacting with an external world.  I think that's relevant.
Intelligence and consciousness only exist relative to an environment
because to be conscious is to be conscious of something, i.e. to have a

To post to this group, send email to