> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:55:35 -0700
> Subject: Re: Emulation and Stuff
> From: peterdjo...@yahoo.com
> To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
>

> >However, some physicists - Julian Barbour for one - use
> > the term in a way that clearly has reference, as I think does Bruno.
>
> Any Platonists thinks there is a real immaterial realm, that is the
> whole point
What does "real" mean? Once again it seems to be a synonym for existence, but
you aren't defining what notion of existence you're talking about, you speak as
though it has a single transparent meaning which coincides with your own notion
of physical existence. On the contrary, I think most modern analytic
philosophers would interpret "mathematical Platonism" to mean *only* that
mathematical structures exist in the Quinean sense, i.e. that there are truths
about them that cannot be paraphrased into truths about the physical world
(whatever that is). I don't think any additional notion of "existence" is
normally implied by the term "mathematical Platonism" (and many philosophers
might not even acknowledge that there are any well-defined notions of of
'existence' besides the Quinean one)