2009/8/27 Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>:

> Perhaps not, but it's just words. Materialists use "dualism" as a term
> of abuse, and some materialists will call anyone who thinks a lot
> about consciousness a dualist, while some of those who think a lot
> about consciousness will do anything to avoid being called that.

Well, I don't think that it is just words, but it can be difficult to
see this because of the heavy freight of association carried by the
standard vocabulary.  At root, if one doesn't intuit the 'personal'
(in the most general sense - e.g. Bruno's sense of the 0-personal) as
a) ontological and b) uniquely so, one is still unconsciously
categorising in terms of Descartes' two substances, however the
vocabulary masks this.  But perhaps this is what you mean by "just
words"?

David