Flammarion wrote:

> On 21 Aug, 21:01, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> Flammarion wrote:
>
>>> Do you think that if you scanned my brain right down to the atomic
>>> level,
>>> you still wouldn't have captured all the information?
>> That's an interesting question and one that I think relates to the
>> importance of context.  A scan of your brain would capture all the
>> information in the Shannon/Boltzman sense, i.e. it would determine which
>> of the possible configurations and processes were realized.  However,
>> those concerned about the "hard problem", will point out that this
>> misses the fact that the information represents or "means" something.
>> To know the meaning of the information would require knowledge of the
>> world in which the brain acts and perceives, including a lot of
>> evolutionary history.  Image scanning the brain of an alien found  in a
>> crash at Roswell.  Without knowledge of how he acts and the evolutionary
>> history of his species it would be essentially impossible to guess the
>> meaning of the patterns in his brain.  My point is that it is not just
>> computation that is consciousness or cognition, but computation with
>> meaning, which means within a certain context of action.
>>

> But figuring out stored sensory information should be about the
> easiest part of the task. If you can trace a pathway from a red
> sensor to a storage unit, the information in the unit has to mean
> "this is red".
> What is hard about the Hard Problem is *not* interpretation or
> context.

I'm not so sure about that - maybe "more is different" applies. "This
is red" is really a summary, an abstraction, of what the red sensor
firing means to the alien.  To a human it's the color of blood and has
connotations of violence, excitement, danger.  To an alien with green
blood... from a planet with red seas...?  If you knew all the
associations built up over a lifetime of memories and many lifetimes
of evolution maybe the 'hard problem' would dissolve.

Brent