2009/9/1 Flammarion <peterdjo...@yahoo.com>:

> it is standard practice for lecturers to ask for quesitons when they
> have
> finished. They do that because it works -- it clears up
> misudnerstandings.
> Assuming that miscommunication has to be the audiences fault doesn;t
> work.
> I have never seen that in a professional settign but it is quite
> common on
> usenet.

Yes of course, naturally I welcome such questions; it's why I post in
the first place, and it's why I do my best to answer them.  But it
takes two to tango to avoid merely trampling on each others' toes.
For example, I read "quesitons", "misudnerstandings", and "settign" in
the spirit of trying to comprehend what you mean, rather than
literally what you write!  And of course to impute 'fault' to the
audience would in itself be unhelpfully contentious.   I do however
observe - based on much experience both good and bad - that in any
context, professional or otherwise, increased comprehension is
ultimately better served by the outcome of a mutually engaged
approach.

In particular, outside the professional context, it is much more
problematic to assume compatibility in terminology and philosophical
background.  For example, you may have noticed that I sometimes
enquire of someone "perhaps when you say such and such you mean this
or that?" because their words seem to assume some unspecified context
and my proposal may suggest to them where I have progressed in my
understanding of their viewpoint, whilst providing an opportunity to
provide a wider frame in responding.  I must say it is when you
yourself have done something of this sort that I find it easiest to
respond in kind.

David

>
>
>
> On 1 Sep, 14:40, David Nyman <david.ny...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1 Sep, 12:04, Flammarion <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah. Or you could just answer my questions.
>>
>> The problem is the world of assumption contained in your use of
>> "just".
>
> Really?
>
>>There is no possibility of a context-free 'objective'
>> exchange of views.  There must be some sympathetic matching of
>> contexts of understanding, even if only for the honourable purpose of
>> comprehending a viewpoint as intended in order to discount it with a
>> clear conscience.
>
> it is standard practice for lecturers to ask for quesitons when they
> have
> finished. They do that because it works -- it clears up
> misudnerstandings.
> Assuming that miscommunication has to be the audiences fault doesn;t
> work.
> I have never seen that in a professional settign but it is quite
> common on
> usenet.
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to