Russell
I notice in your book "the theory of nothing that there is a test for self
awareness (Gordon Gallup) called the mirror test.  Not many animals are
known to have passed this test.  However I wonder whether many more would if
the spot painted on them actually was not odourless or indeed was an
irritant.  My point is that why should self awareness be measured by a
response from signals from the eye to the brain rather than any other of the
senses to indicate that the spot is present and therefore prompt the spotted
one to look into the mirror to see what's what?