On 21 Sep 2009, at 23:48, m.a. wrote:

> And when pressed as to exactly how the Heisenberg compensators
> worked, the spokesman replied, "Very well, thank you."

:)

That's the problem. Star strek teleportation has been invented well
before Bennett & Al. discovered quantum teleportation, and a priori,
from the vague description of how teleportation works in Star Strek,
we can say nothing, except that it looks like classical teleportation.
Actually the Heisenberg compensators, if they compensate really the
Heisenberg uncertainties, would make such machine impossible: you just
cannot compensate the Heisenberg uncertainties, unless those
compensators send the classical bits needed to effectuate a quantum
teleportation, and this would explain, retrospectively, why in star
strek those devices always (?) annihilate the "original"... and why
Star Strek did not exploit the self-duplication and self-
indeterminacy, unlike the movie "the prestige" for example.

This is not relevant for comp, note, because the "global" comp
indeterminacy bears on the states generated by the UD, and if quantum
cloning is impossible, the multiple preparation of similar states is
quantum possible and effectively done by the Universal Dovetailer. You
current quantum state is provably generated by the UD, an infinite
number of times, at all level of substitution. Remember that quantum
mechanics is Turing emulable. By quantum linearity, slight errors does
not grow up, so that, in a sense, quantum mechanics is more easy to
emulate than classical physics where chaos can make some need of
infinite precision. Some classical analog machine will be not Turing
emulable. Brains are well described by classical analog machines, but
then to make it stable and robust, have a big redundancy to
*compensate* sub-level discrepancies, making us most plausibly Turing
emulable. If not, just smoking a cigarette would destroy our identity.

Bruno