On 28 Sep 2009, at 21:51, ronaldheld wrote:

> My book has arrived. Perhaps in several months, I will be able to
> follow the symbolic arguments better?

Nice. Now I feel some guild because for all books in logic, there
exists always a better book :)

The books by Torkel Fraenkel are very good. Too, like Carnielli and
Epstein and the Boolos and Jeffrey series.

As a unique book for a serious study, some remains the best, like
Mendelson for an introduction to mathematical logic (a branch of math
which study the formal or symbolical systems) and Hartley Rogers for a
serious introduction to recursion theory (alias theoretical computer
science; computability theory, uncomputability theory, ...).

And the book by Boolos (1979, 1993) are basically the best
introduction to the G and G* logics of self-reference. (The AUDA main
tools).

Smullyan wrote many chef-d'oeuvre.

The deepest bible of the field is Davis 1965,

DAVIS M. (ed.), 1965, The Undecidable, Raven Press, Hewlett, New York.

with the original papers by Gödel, Turing, Kleene, Church, and the
most incredible Paper which anticipated everything up to now and
beyond ... (I could argue).
It exists in DOVER now!

My october month is a bit charged, and I am slow down. I will come
back on the diagonalization, and the "mathematical
definition or approach to the notion of computation, and the relation
between physics and the (mathematically shaped) border of the
uncomputable, asap.

Best,

Bruno