On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 2:13 AM, marc.geddes <marc.ged...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Penrose is nonsense if taken literally, he's looking at the
> wrong level of organization, mind has got nothing to do with
> fundamental physics directly I think.  But speaking *metaphorically*
> it can lead to good ideas.  So speaking metaphorically only,
> information integration in the mind (categorization) could be said to
> be analogous to space-time curvature.  And then the probabilities are
> analogous to the apparent forces.  But I'll stick to comp I think.

I imagine it much like fishing.  There is a deep sea of ideas on top of
which my mind floats.  I cast out a line with a particular hook/bait and
troll through the idea space and reel-in those that "fit" the hook.
Sometimes I don't have enough details, so I get back an incomplete result.
Other times I may not have the patience (enough fishing line) to reach
deeply enough to find the perfect match.  Some ideas are ideal, some work
well enough.

I'm not sure if that was metaphorically or allegorical or simply an
analogy.  :)