Dear Mark,
I am always attracted to mystery-people. First 'Buda' (also: Bleda) means to
me the brother of Attila the Hun, whom he killed and who's name is included
in "Budapest", the older city-part on the right (hilly) side of the Danube
(Pest was the transportational center at the transitional border starting
with (before?) the Roman Empire). Then later I detected that many people use
"Buda" as their name sometimes spelled Buddha.
Then I read your (unsigned) 'hermit' post.
Let me insert some remarks as I read it.
I just reflect my own thinking with no judgemental input to what you (or
others) wrote.
John Mike

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Mark Buda <her...@acm.org> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I believe humanity now has all the pieces of the theory of everything.
> The only remaining problem is putting them together to make a
> beautiful picture.
>
> I believe one of the pieces is: Everything exists. (That's what this
> list is about, right?)

JM: I like the naive position myself that the world (indeed: everyhing) DOES
exist.

> Here's another: Consciousness is computation.

JM: if I agree with this one, I consider *computation* in a special sense. I
would like to have the meaning of 'working mind' in some sense, more
versatile than just arithmetically, which may be included. Whatever we (and
more than just humans) *mentally *do. That may be involved in that
'universal algorithm' you mention next. Combining features with SOME logic
(of which we naturally can only use our humanly restricted ways). Same for
the "Turing" reference, as a pars pro toto. Our embryonic computerism is at
the binary numerical level, I consider it the proto-first step - more and
better ones to follow until we reach something representing INDEED the
'universal machine' (from which we are far away IMO.)

> The algorithm doesn't matter. We are all running the same universal
> algorithm. The difference is in our inputs, our starting state, the
> bits on our Turing machine's infinite tape.
>
> Some computations may terminate. Some computations may repeat. The
> kind of computations that human consciousness is is the kind that does
> not terminate or repeat.
>
> While composing this email, I apparently achieved enlightenment. (I'm
> serious. It's complicated.)

In my wording: it is 'complicated' when we try to touch* complexity*. At our
present mental  stage we cannot reach it. Our 'perceived reality' is
fractional and personally slanted, so we cannot (even hope) getting to the
all-encompassing complexity (i.e. total relational  interrelatedness of
indeed everything). IOW: the World, the existence.
Thanks for the enlightenment I received while reading your post.
John Mikes