On Jan 10, 6:14 pm, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Mark Buda <her...@acm.org> wrote:
> > I believe humanity now has all the pieces of the theory of everything.
> > The only remaining problem is putting them together to make a
> > beautiful picture.
>
> > I believe one of the pieces is: Everything exists. (That's what this
> > list is about, right?)
>
> JM: I like the naive position myself that the world (indeed: everyhing) DOES
> exist.

I mean, literally, that every possible universe does in fact exist. If
anything exists, that is.

> > Here's another: Consciousness is computation.
>
> JM: if I agree with this one, I consider *computation* in a special sense.

What I mean is that consciousness and computation are the same thing.
Your subjective experience of the world is the computation that is the
universe; the machine you call a computer doesn't actually do any
computing. You do. You are each a universe-sized quantum computer that
believes (correctly) that it's a human being. Together, we make up the
multiverse.

I realize I may not be making much sense, but it's taken 42 years for
me to get all of this into my head and it's not coming out easily.
Please be patient :-)

> > While composing this email, I apparently achieved enlightenment. (I'm
> > serious. It's complicated.)
>
> In my wording: it is 'complicated' when we try to touch* complexity*.

What I meant was what Buddhists call "bodhi". I think.