Welcome Mark,

On 10 Jan 2010, at 18:33, Mark Buda wrote:

Greetings.

I believe humanity now has all the pieces of the theory of everything.
The only remaining problem is putting them together to make a
beautiful picture.

I believe one of the pieces is: Everything exists. (That's what this
list is about, right?)

Here's another: Consciousness is computation.

Consciousness is a first person notion.
Computation is a third person notion.

How could those be identified?

On the contrary, once you associate consciousness to the working of a digital machine, or digitalizable machine, eventually your "stable" consciousness links itself to an infinite set of abstract (immaterial) computations.
But even here, it is not possible to make an identification.
The best you can do is to identify consciousness with a machine belief state in a reality, or with the incommunicable undoubtable global quasi instantaneous sum-up-like feeling, etc.

The algorithm doesn't matter. We are all running the same universal
algorithm. The difference is in our inputs, our starting state, the
bits on our Turing machine's infinite tape.

Some computations may terminate. Some computations may repeat. The
kind of computations that human consciousness is is the kind that does
not terminate or repeat.

OK.

While composing this email, I apparently achieved enlightenment. (I'm
serious. It's complicated.)

Lucky you :)
You may elaborate, or not.

Bruno Marchal