Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
2010/1/14 Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com>:

I agree, there is no subjective difference.  But I think there is a logical
difference, if you are only your current OM why go to work when some other
OM will enjoy the fruits of that labor?  But by attaching every OM to the
same observer then there is a reason to make sacrifices such as work to the
benefit and hopefully overall improvement of the collection of OMs.

I don't think there is a logical difference either. What you make of
this problem is probably the single most important thing in the
philosophy of personal identity.

Suppose in the future you wish to travel by means of destructive
teleportation. There are two types of ticket that you can buy: Economy
Class and First Class. Economy Class costs $500 and guarantees that
the person coming out at the receiving station has the same physical
structure, and hence the same memories and other mental attributes, as
the person who went into the sending station. First Class costs $1000
and is the same as Economy Class, except that it is additionally
guaranteed that the person coming out is the same person as the one
who went in. Which ticket would you buy?

The Economy Class ticket. The First Class is a guarantee they'll destroy the original. :-)