On 12 Jan 2010, at 20:55, Mark Buda wrote:

On Jan 12, 3:32 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Here's another: Consciousness is computation.

Consciousness is a first person notion.
Computation is a third person notion.

How could those be identified?

How could they be different?

Computation is a third person notion. It can be defined formally in mathematics. Consciousness is a first person notion. Even with comp, especially with comp and some definition, consciousness cannot be defined formally.

You are doing the same category mistake than those who says "brain = mind". Those are different type of notion. You need the physical supervenience thesis to *associate* mind to brain. And with comp, to associate consciousness to computational state(s)/computation, you need a computational supervenience thesis, which is not something easy to define. But we know today it cannot be a 1-1 relation.

I think that there is still a confusion between 1-OM and 3-OM. 1-OM are not just the result of a statistics on the 3-OMs. The failure of the identity thesis prevents any simple relation between 1-OM and 3-OM. Consciousness is an attribute of a person. With comp it needs many 3- OM + some structures. We can try to derive such structure from computer science, + some theory of knowledge (like Theaetetus' one).