limitation?
If you substitute consistently 'animal' for 'pet', you can include the human
animal as well. In that case your
#1: would you consider 'distress' a disturbed mental state only, or include
organisational 'distress' as well - causing what we may call: 'death'? In
the first case you can circumvent the distress by putting the animal to
sleep before killing, causing THEN the 2nd case.

#2: I never talked to a shrimp in shrimpese so I don't know what ens
'pleasurable' to it.

#3 speaking about AL (human included) we include circumstances we already
discovered and there is no assurance that we 'create' LIFE (what is it?) as
it really  - IS - <G>. So turning on/off a contraption we call 'animal'
(artificial pet?) is not what we are talking about.

#4: I consider 'ethical' an anthropocentric culture-related majority (?)
opinion in many cases hypocritical and pretentious. Occasionally it can be a
power-forced minority opinion as well.
I feel the *alleged *Chinese moral behind your remark: if you save a life
you are responsible for the person (I don't know if it is true?).

I try to take a more general stance and not restrict terms even to 'live(?)'
creatures.
Is a universal mchine 'live'?

Have fun in science

John M