2010/1/19 silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com>:

> Exactly my point! I'm trying to discover why I wouldn't be so rational
> there. Would you? Do you think that knowing all there is to know about
> a cat is unpractical to the point of being impossible *forever*, or do
> you believe that once we do know, we will simply "end" them freely,
> when they get in our way? I think at some point we *will* know all
> there is to know about them, and even then, we won't end them easily.
> Why not? Is it the emotional projection that Brent suggests? Possibly.

Why should understanding something, even well enough to have actually
made it, make a difference?

>> Obviously intelligence and the ability to have feelings and desires
>> has something to do with complexity. It would be easy enough to write
>> a computer program that pleads with you to do something but you don't
>> feel bad about disappointing it, because you know it lacks the full
>> richness of human intelligence and consciousness.
>
> Indeed; so part of the question is: Qhat level of complexity
> constitutes this? Is it simply any level that we don't understand? Or
> is there a level that we *can* understand that still makes us feel
> that way? I think it's more complicated than just any level we don't
> understand (because clearly, I "understand" that if I twist your arm,
> it will hurt you, and I know exactly why, but I don't do it).

I don't think our understanding of it has anything to do with it. It
is more that a certain level of complexity is needed for the entity in
question to have a level of consciousness which means we are able to
hurt it.

--
Stathis Papaioannou