On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/1/19 silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Exactly my point! I'm trying to discover why I wouldn't be so rational
> > there. Would you? Do you think that knowing all there is to know about
> > a cat is unpractical to the point of being impossible *forever*, or do
> > you believe that once we do know, we will simply "end" them freely,
> > when they get in our way? I think at some point we *will* know all
> > there is to know about them, and even then, we won't end them easily.
> > Why not? Is it the emotional projection that Brent suggests? Possibly.
>
> Why should understanding something, even well enough to have actually
> made it, make a difference?

I don't know, that's what I'm trying to determine.

>  >> Obviously intelligence and the ability to have feelings and desires
> >> has something to do with complexity. It would be easy enough to write
> >> a computer program that pleads with you to do something but you don't
> >> feel bad about disappointing it, because you know it lacks the full
> >> richness of human intelligence and consciousness.
> >
> > Indeed; so part of the question is: Qhat level of complexity
> > constitutes this? Is it simply any level that we don't understand? Or
> > is there a level that we *can* understand that still makes us feel
> > that way? I think it's more complicated than just any level we don't
> > understand (because clearly, I "understand" that if I twist your arm,
> > it will hurt you, and I know exactly why, but I don't do it).
>
> I don't think our understanding of it has anything to do with it. It
> is more that a certain level of complexity is needed for the entity in
> question to have a level of consciousness which means we are able to
> hurt it.

But the basic question is; can you create this entity from scratch, using a
computer? And if so, do you owe it any obligations?

--
> Stathis Papaioannou

silky
 http://www.mirios.com.au/
 http://island.mirios.com.au/t/rigby+random+20

antagonist PATRIARCHATE scatterbrained professorship VENALLY bankrupt
adversity bored = unint...