Le 26-janv.-10, à 22:29, Jack Mallah a écrit :

--- On Tue, 1/26/10, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On 25 Jan 2010, at 23:16, Jack Mallah wrote:
Killing one man is not OK just because he has a brother.

In our context, the 'brother' has the same consciousness.

The "brother" most certainly does not have "the same" consciousness. If he did, then killing him would not change the total _amount_ of consciousness; measure would be conserved. What the brother does have is his own, different in terms of who experiences it, but qualitatively identical consciousness.

But then my consciousness here and now is different from my consciousness after a short interval, and is no more something related to "me" in any sense of "me" acceptable with the comp assumption. It seems that this make my consciousness here and now infinitely implausible in the absolute measure (if this makes sense).

I would also not say yes to a computationalist doctor, because my consciousness will be related to the diameter of the simulated neurons, or to the redundancy of the gates, etc. (and this despite the behavior remains unaffected). This entails also the existence of zombie. If the neurons are very thin , my "absolute" measure can be made quasi null, despite my behavior remains again non affected.

From this I conclude you would say "no" to the doctor. All right? The doctor certainly "kill a 'brother' ".

As you should know by now Bruno, if you are now talking about a teleportation experiment, in that case you kill one guy (bad) but create another, qualitatively identical guy (good). So the net effect is OK. Of course the doctor should get the guy's permission before doing anything, if he can.

Certainly. But if you mean by this that you say "yes", it is only as a form of altruism. *you* and *your* consciousness die in the process. The net effect is OK, but only for your mother, friends, or any third person observer. Comp, as I use the term is that it is OK in the usual sense of surviving a clinical operation.

BTW, it may seem that I advocate increased population - that is, if we had a cloning device, we should use it. In general, yes, but a planet has a limited capacity to support a high population over a long term, which we may have already exceeded. Too much at once will result in a lower total population over time due to a ruined environment as well as lower quality of life. So in practice, it would cause problems. But if we has a second planet available and the question is should we populate it, I'd say yes.

Apparently we agree on what we disagree. You position is not computationalism, where identity does not depend on the implementation of the program, and two computers running the same program can be seen as a special implementation of one program, like in spacecraft.