I'm replying to this bit seperately since Bruno touched on a different issue
than the others have.  My reply to the main "measure again '10" thread will
follow under the original title.

--- On Wed, 1/27/10, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> I would also not say yes to a computationalist doctor, because my
> consciousness will be related to the diameter of the simulated neurons, or to
> the redundancy of the gates, etc.  (and this despite the behavior remains
> unaffected). This entails also the existence of zombie. If the neurons are
> very thin , my "absolute" measure can be made quasi null, despite my behavior
> remains again non affected.

This relates to what I call the 'problem of size', namely: Does the size of the
components affect the measure?  The answer is not obvious.

My belief is that, given that it is all made of quantum stuff, the size will
not matter - because the set of quantum variables involved actually doesn't
change if you leave some of them out of the computer - they are still
parameters of the overall system.

But there is an important and obvious way in which size does matter - the size
of the amplitude of the wavefunction, the square of which is proportional to
measure according to the Born Rule.

I would say that if we really had a classical world and made a computer out of
"classical water" waves, the measure might be proportional to the square of the
amplitude of those waves.  I don't know - I have different proposals for how
the actual Born Rule comes about, and depending on how it works, it could come
out either way.

I don't think there is any experimental evidence that size matters.  But some
might disagree.  If they do, there are a few points they could make:

- Maybe big brains have more measure.  This could help explain why we are men
and not mice.

- Maybe in the future, people will upload their brains into micro-electronic
systems.  If those have small measure, it could explain the "Doomsday argument"
- if the future people have low measure, it makes sense that we are not in that
era.

- Maybe neural pathways that recieve more reinforcement get bigger and give
rise to more measure.  This could result in increased effective probablility to
observe more coincidences in your life than would be expected by chance.  Now,
coincidences often are noticed by us and we tend to think there are many.  I
think this has more to do with psychology than physics - but who knows?