From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-l...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 12:18 PM
To: fabric-of-real...@yahoogroups.com
Cc: everything-list List
Subject: Does the plants quantum computations?

Hi,

I have to find time to look at this in more detail, but I am already rather
impressed. Please correct me.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-it-comes-to-photosynth
esis-plants-perform-quantum-computation

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=shining-a-light-on-plants-q
uantum-secret&sc=WR_20100209

If life is a biochemical process, it is a quantum process or "computation",
of course. But if those papers are correct, genuine interference processed
are used by proteins selected for that task.

I don't think this can invalidate Tegmark's argument that the brain is
mainly a classical machine, but I know that in biology, we can always be
surprised, and it may be a tiny step toward such invalidation. This may lead
to lowering down our mechanist substitution level.

It open the prospect to build quantum devices by genetical engineering.
Perhaps.

Bruno Marchal