To: <fabric-of-real...@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "everything-list List" <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 10:47 PM
Subject: Does the plants quantum computations?

Hi,

I have to find time to look at this in more detail, but I am already
rather impressed. Please correct me.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-it-comes-to-photosynthesis-plants-perform-quantum-computation

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=shining-a-light-on-plants-quantum-secret&sc=WR_20100209

If life is a biochemical process, it is a quantum process or
"computation", of course. But if those papers are correct, genuine
interference processed are used by proteins selected for that task.

I don't think this can invalidate Tegmark's argument that the brain is
mainly a classical machine, but I know that in biology, we can always
be surprised, and it may be a tiny step toward such invalidation. This
may lead to lowering down our mechanist substitution level.

It open the prospect to build quantum devices by genetical
engineering. Perhaps.

Bruno Marchal