-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-l...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 11:43 PM
To: Everything List
Subject: Re: Many-worlds vs. Many-Minds

> Good point, but among the many fates there is always the optimal path.
> Perhaps evolution resulted in a mechanism able to visualize all of the
> possible (MW) paths and choose the most advantageous one? There's
certainly
> enough evidence to suggest that in moments of crisis, some of us are
> afforded advice from an "elevated" perspective. Maybe what some describe
as
> "guardian angels" are merely our hidden observers, directing us in a path
> through the multiworlds?  Unfortunately, given the walls between physics,
> philosophy and psychology--it's unlikely that we're going to see any
> unifying theories any time soon.

This is something I'd really like to believe! (I'm trying to write a
story which is based on this sort of premise, as it happens :-) A
colleague of mine in a previous job believed he'd had experiences that
illustrated this principle, and he certainly sounded convincing,
although only anecdotal of course. I certainly think we still have a
lot to learn about the mind and consciousness (always assuming it's
possible to do so).

I think there is the possibility that one can experimentally test whether
consciousness includes links between the "real" world and the "possible"
parallel ones: set up a double-blind experiment where 100 subjects are given
5 tries to predict the appearance of any of 20 possible figures. However,
the machine is rigged to show only (say) ten--the rest are actually
impossible to show (and there's no repeat.) Run the test, then score how
many predicted the "possible" figures vs how many predicted those figures
that weren't possible. The hypothesis: the predicted "possible: scores will
dominate over the impossible ones--thus suggesting that knowledge a
knowledge of worlds where the potential objects showed up on the screen.

RM