On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I think you have to narrow a concept of "explanation"; you seem to confine
> it to "causal physical chain at the most fundamental level."  If someone
> asked you whether you expected a newly discovered animal species to be one
> that ate it's offspring, would you try to find the initial conditions of the
> quark fields at that the time of the Big Bang that led to this creature - or
> would you make an inference from the theory of evolution?

I'd think about the question in the context of the theory of
evolution, but any answers that I formulated on that basis would be
very tentative.  Evolutionary theory doesn't provide for unambiguous
predictions, or even retrodictions (why do lions have manes?), since
it has no causal mechanism.  Again, it's more of a metaphorical
framework for thinking about possibilities.