On 12 Mar 2010, at 18:34, m.a. wrote:

What sort of "short cut" are you talking about? I don't see any short cuts here. I can see where people will find reasons afterwards to justify their decisions by consulting conscience and notions of good and bad, but that's all
a posterior.        marty a.

I am not sure what you are talking about. You may elaborate what do you mean by free will, and why you believe it does not exist. But this has been discussed very often, notably on the FOR list. You may consult the archive. I am not sure "free" adds anything to the will. (Free) will is the ability of a person to develop personal goals and to satisfy them in absence of coercion. I think most animals have free will, and that such a notion has nothing to do with indeterminism of the mind (but has to do with self-indeterminacy). Like consciousness "having free will" is probably in the corona G* \ G. If true it is not provable.