Doesn't free will imply that we live in a macroscopically acausal universe, where our neural networks can produce outputs with no physical input? Arguments about QM/randomness in the network seem to produce just that - randomness.

William

On Mar 12, 2010, at 12:53 PM, m.a. wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Bruno Marchal
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: Free will: Wrong entry.

On 12 Mar 2010, at 18:34, m.a. wrote:

What sort of "short cut" are you talking about? I don't see any short cuts here. I can see where people will find reasons afterwards to justify their decisions by consulting conscience and notions of good and bad, but that's all
a posterior.        marty a.

I am not sure what you are talking about. You may elaborate what do you mean by free will, and why you believe it does not exist. But this has been discussed very often, notably on the FOR list. You may consult the archive. I am not sure "free" adds anything to the will. (Free) will is the ability of a person to develop personal goals and to satisfy them in absence of coercion. I think most animals have free will, and that such a notion has nothing to do with indeterminism of the mind (but has to do with self-indeterminacy). Like consciousness "having free will" is probably in the corona G* \ G. If true it is not provable.

Bruno

Reply:

I agree with you that quantum indeterminacy doesn't affect (free) will: "Quantum mechanics is local and deterministic, and explains why it seems indeterministic to the 99,9999...% of the observers." (3/12/2010 7:58 AM), which is why I feel that your use of the words "ability" and "develop" when you say: "the ability of a person to develop personal goals and to satisfy them in absence of coercion" (above) can as easily refer to completely determined processes which introspection identfies as voluntary a split second afterwards ... as it can anything else. m.a.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .