Hi Brent,

               I wonder how you might explain to a medical doctor that his
ability is required independent of his own need to use it on his own behalf?
How is the need of the one person such that it can make demands on some
other person to act even against their own circumstances? While it may be
true that other OECD nations have cheaper health care, the fact remains that
health care does not exist in a vacuum. We can always find a wonderful
attribute or condition within, say, Cuba, but would you want to move your
family there? How many time must Marx's "theory" be tested before we realize
that it is based on a false premise: that somehow society can achieve
"social justice" for all without a grotesque human cost. How far do the
bodies need to pile up in mass graves before this nonsense of a "free lunch
for all" is rejected?

There are wider societal conditions and mechanisms that one needs to
consider. What social reward system will exist to generate a motivation for
persons to go through the rigors of training that being a Health Care
provider demands in a monolithic non-profit health system for all eligible
Americans? I ask the question honestly! But enough of that .

               My point is not against Universal health care per say, it is
against the underlying set of assumptions. I am asking for a careful
consideration of the premises that are being put forward: That governmental
bureaucracies are even capable of achieving the goal of providing services
in ways that are better than when free markets can provide. In my original
posting on this thread I sought to point of that there is a computational
way of considering the free vs. managed market system and so far I have not
had much of a response to my point other than one post by Elliot. Human
beings populate both the corporate systems and federal bureaucracies and so
in both systems we should expect the same range of human tendencies. I would
like to understand how efficiency works in both cases as a way to form a
metric of comparison that is independent of political stripes.

Onward!

Stephen P. King