On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM, silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > In an uploaded state you could spend all day eating from an unlimited
> buffet
> > of any food you could think of (and more) and get neither full nor fat.
> In
> > the end it is just firings of your neurons (artificial or otherwise) and
> if
> > uploaded, that would be all there is to you, there would be no
> metabolism,
> > and no additional resources would be sacrificed to provide the experience
> of
> > eating that food.
> Potentially an interesting question, though, is would it still mean
> anything, if there were no consequences?
I think there are still consequences of your actions, I don't imagine
uploading would be an entirely solitary experience, you would still interact
with others and create new relationships.  There would be few external
consequences seen from outside the computer, but I don't think that
diminishes the goings on within.  Much like someone could point to a
dreaming person and say it doesn't matter if he is having a nice dream or a
terrible nightmare, I think it still matters (to person who is dreaming).