On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Sami Perttu <sami.per...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Definitely on-topic and it seems like a very interesting game, I'd
> like to try it some time.

Thanks, Sami.

> But it's hard to give useful feedback
> without playtesting it.

It's been playtested quite a bit. At this point I'd consider you to be
/playing/ it. :)

> The scoring rules are critical - how did you
> settle on multiplying everything together? Maybe it's the only simple
> choice that makes sense.

The short answer is that it's more fun, and generates universes and
multiverses that are more what I wanted out of the game. Several other
schemes were tried and abandoned.

For example, scoring by adding the lines of a universe together led to
universes that were single long lines in practice, because a line with
15 words scored as well as one that was 5+5+5 words, and was easier to
maintain. If you multiply lines together, however, the latter universe
has a base score of 125 points, which is much higher than 15, and this
principle leads to more "well-rounded", fun, and interesting
universes.

Similarly, multiplying universes together leads to players developing
well-rounded multiverses, just as multiplying lines leads to their
developing well-rounded universes. Finally, multiplying by complexity
rather than adding it as a bonus encourages players to treat
complexity as an integral part of the game and pay close attention to
the number of rules they have, rather than simply focusing on adding
as many words as possible.

> I think you'd get more comments if you included a sample annotated
> game with the rules.

Thanks. You may be right, and this may be something I'll get around
to, but probably not soon. I had hoped that the sample universe and
set of sample laws provided would be enough to get people who had
never played the game started.

I hope you do give MultiVerses a try. I know that you've probably
never played one of my games before, and of course it doesn't come in
a colorful box with the name of a famous game designer on it. By way
of credentials, I'll just state that I'm dedicated to "open culture"
gaming (hence the lack of fancy box) and I've won a couple of small
game design contests. Also, my games tend to be novel and experimental
because I'm not trying to sell to a mass market audience. The day
Reiner Knizia or Wolfgang Kramer designs a game about multiversal
cosmology is the day I'll have to look for a new artform. :)

Thanks for your comments.

Ron

--
Ron Hale-Evans ... r...@ludism.org ... http://ludism.org/tinfoil ...