Hi David,

In a nutshell, I am not sure Zurek's (re)introduction of the "preferred basis" makes sense, even in QM (without mentioning DM = Digital Mechanism). Relatively to comp the approach by Deutch and Hayden seems to me more promising with the respect to extract such a Quantum Darwinism from the DM Arithmetical Darwinism. Both Zurek and Deutsch seems unaware that they are using some physical supervenience thesis which I think are contradicted by the DM thesis, but Deutsch, it seems to me, does not require any preferred basis. DM pushes this much more deeply in the sense that the "observable realm" is independent of the choice of any "initial" universal (computational) systems.

You may take a look at

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9906007
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0104033
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609085

Unfortunately Deutsch is unable to break through the DM barrier, as you can see in this paper, which, in my humble opinion is close to nonsense, or is correct (who knows?) but then DM is false.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/math/9911150v1

Thanks for the link
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0707/0707.2832v1.pdf
which is a nice summary of Zurek thought on the subject.

Bruno