  From: Quentin Anciaux
  To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:19 AM
  Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality considering "Passing Out"

  Hi,

  2010/5/20 awak <mustata_a...@yahoo.com>

    1. Hello everyone! I'm Alex. I'm a civil engineer with an avid passion for
    Popular Science books. I'm not a scientist, nor a native English speaker, so
    please excuse my possible inconsistencies in both Scientific logic or
    English grammar. Again, sorry if this question has already been posed.

    2. I've just finished reading Russel Standish's "Theory of Nothing" so the
    following question, concerning Quantum Immortality, has its base in the
    information found in this book.

    3. From what i understand, Functionalism and Computationalism implies that
    my consciousness will follow all the world-lines where i live at a maximum
    age - this considering that there might be a limit to "Quantum Immortality",
    even though this is in contradiction with the definition of this concept;
    for the purpose my question let's just say there might be some worlds where
    i live until 200 yrs.

    4. From Wikipedia : "Syncope (pronounced /ˈsɪŋkəpi/) is the medical term for
    fainting, a sudden, usually temporary, loss of consciousness generally
    caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain either through cerebral hypoxia
    or through hypotension, but possibly for other reasons. Typical symptoms
    progress through dizziness, clamminess of the skin, a dimming of vision or
    greyout, possibly tinnitus, complete loss of vision, weakness of limbs to
    physical collapse. These symptoms falling short of complete collapse, or a
    fall down, may be referred to as a syncoptic episode."

    So i take this as evidence that consciousness is not continuous.

    5. MY QUESTION: "Why is this possible, for me to pass out, losing my
    consciousness because of cerebral hypoxia, hypotension, or because i am hit
    by someone, considering that Quantum Immortality implies continuous
    consciousness"? More to that, shouldn't we find ourselves in worlds where we
    don't sleep (where we are semi-conscious just like dolphins are because they
    sleep only with half of their brains) so we don't lose consciousness?

  Quantum immortality doesn't implies continuous consciousness... it just
implies that there will always be a next moment. So you can passed out but you
will eventually wake up.

  Regards,
  Quentin

    With lots of admiration to the Everything List, that had a lot to do with
    producing Russel's book, i salute you all!

    Alex.