On 20 May 2010, at 16:12, m.a. wrote:

I may have this all wrong, but it seems to me that for there to be umpteen trillion copies of a person there had to be umpteen trillion (UT) copies of his parents. And only a relatively small sub-group of those met and cohabited at the exact moment of his/her conception. But the same must have been true for their parents and their parents' parents and so forth back to the primoridal slime. And this staggering foliation of universes only covers one specific zygote of two specific gametes. What of all the other UT^UT combinations leading to the creation of other individuals just on this family tree? And what of all the other combinations and histories of every human, animal, insect and bacterium on this planet? Does it really make sense to assume numbers of universes so far beyond our ability to conceive of? marty a.

You seem to conceive them very well! You may look at this in another way. We know today how very simple relation (like z := z^2 + c) can generate awfully complex infinite (and infinitely complex) object(*). Or take the universal dovetailer, which arithmetical form of existence is beyond doubt, and does emulate the UT^UT, and UT^UT^UT copies you mention above, despite his little definition (code). So the question is more: how is it that we experience singularity and uniqueness. How would a universe be selected in the ocean of universes, which admit conceptually simpler theories for their justification, or for the justification of their relative appearances.
More is simple. It is the motto of the "everything" idea.
It is said that primitive mind handle only three numbers: 1, 2 and *a lot*. Number like 0 and infinity are eventually simpler to conceive than 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

Also, we do have evidences that QM is correct, and in QM the other worlds are not a luxe, they do interfere, and by doing so change the probabilities of occurrence of events (in our apparently unique universe), and Digital Mechanism predicts more generally statistical interference below our substitution levels (that is less well known).

(*) You may take a look at those two (or three videos) for illustrating what I mean that z := z^2 + c leads to unimaginably "complex" mathematical realities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZYZ-L8m9Q&feature=related (Julia sets) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ma6cV6fw24&feature=related (the Mandelbrot set)

For an introduction to complex numbers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznD05F1DLI

Bruno

----- Original Message -----
From: Quentin Anciaux
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality considering "Passing Out"

Hi,

2010/5/20 awak <mustata_a...@yahoo.com>

1. Hello everyone! I'm Alex. I'm a civil engineer with an avid passion for Popular Science books. I'm not a scientist, nor a native English speaker, so
please excuse my possible inconsistencies in both Scientific logic or
English grammar. Again, sorry if this question has already been posed.

2. I've just finished reading Russel Standish's "Theory of Nothing" so the following question, concerning Quantum Immortality, has its base in the
information found in this book.

3. From what i understand, Functionalism and Computationalism implies that my consciousness will follow all the world-lines where i live at a maximum age - this considering that there might be a limit to "Quantum Immortality", even though this is in contradiction with the definition of this concept; for the purpose my question let's just say there might be some worlds where
i live until 200 yrs.

4. From Wikipedia : "Syncope (pronounced /ˈsɪŋkəpi/) is the medical term for
fainting, a sudden, usually temporary, loss of consciousness generally
caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain either through cerebral hypoxia or through hypotension, but possibly for other reasons. Typical symptoms progress through dizziness, clamminess of the skin, a dimming of vision or greyout, possibly tinnitus, complete loss of vision, weakness of limbs to physical collapse. These symptoms falling short of complete collapse, or a
fall down, may be referred to as a syncoptic episode."

So i take this as evidence that consciousness is not continuous.

5. MY QUESTION: "Why is this possible, for me to pass out, losing my
consciousness because of cerebral hypoxia, hypotension, or because i am hit
by someone, considering that Quantum Immortality implies continuous
consciousness"? More to that, shouldn't we find ourselves in worlds where we don't sleep (where we are semi-conscious just like dolphins are because they
sleep only with half of their brains) so we don't lose consciousness?

Quantum immortality doesn't implies continuous consciousness... it just implies that there will always be a next moment. So you can passed out but you will eventually wake up.

Regards,
Quentin

With lots of admiration to the Everything List, that had a lot to do with
producing Russel's book, i salute you all!

Alex.