On 5/23/2010 9:32 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Hi Alex, hi Quentin,

On 20 May 2010, at 15:19, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Hi,

2010/5/20 awak <mustata_a...@yahoo.com <mailto:mustata_a...@yahoo.com>>

    1. Hello everyone! I'm Alex. I'm a civil engineer with an avid
    passion for
    Popular Science books. I'm not a scientist, nor a native English
    speaker, so
    please excuse my possible inconsistencies in both Scientific logic or
    English grammar. Again, sorry if this question has already been
    posed.

    2. I've just finished reading Russel Standish's "Theory of
    Nothing" so the
    following question, concerning Quantum Immortality, has its base
    in the
    information found in this book.

    3. From what i understand, Functionalism and Computationalism
    implies that
    my consciousness will follow all the world-lines where i live at
    a maximum
    age - this considering that there might be a limit to "Quantum
    Immortality",
    even though this is in contradiction with the definition of this
    concept;
    for the purpose my question let's just say there might be some
    worlds where
    i live until 200 yrs.

    4. From Wikipedia : "Syncope (pronounced /ˈsɪŋkəpi/) is the
    medical term for
    fainting, a sudden, usually temporary, loss of consciousness
    generally
    caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain either through
    cerebral hypoxia
    or through hypotension, but possibly for other reasons. Typical
    symptoms
    progress through dizziness, clamminess of the skin, a dimming of
    vision or
    greyout, possibly tinnitus, complete loss of vision, weakness of
    limbs to
    physical collapse. These symptoms falling short of complete
    collapse, or a
    fall down, may be referred to as a syncoptic episode."

    So i take this as evidence that consciousness is not continuous.

    5. MY QUESTION: "Why is this possible, for me to pass out, losing my
    consciousness because of cerebral hypoxia, hypotension, or
    because i am hit
    by someone, considering that Quantum Immortality implies continuous
    consciousness"? More to that, shouldn't we find ourselves in
    worlds where we
    don't sleep (where we are semi-conscious just like dolphins are
    because they
    sleep only with half of their brains) so we don't lose consciousness?

Quantum immortality doesn't implies continuous consciousness... it just implies that there will always be a next moment. So you can passed out but you will eventually wake up.

It is an eternally recurring question/objection to many-worlders. I think Quentin is basically right, as far as we agree that QM is correct and decoherence does its work. With DM (Digital mechanism, actually used by QM) the math is awfully complex. All we can say is that the measure one obeys a non boolean sort of quantum logic. IF DM and/or QM is correct the notion of normality for relatively computable histories (the arithmetical world-lines) makes higher your survive a cerebral hypoxia in the normal third person sharable common reality. For irreversible damages, like with alzheimer, or with death, the question of the first person indeterminacy is more complex. By a 'galois connection', you normally augment the possibilities, but there may be jumps, amnesia, and it may depend eventually on what you identify yourself with.

But the "jumps" can be arbitrarily long.  So is a jump of 10^10yrs = death?

Brent

Those 'modern theological' questions are awfully difficult, but computer science can translate them into questions (or set of questions) of arithmetic (in the DM theory, that is assuming we are digitalizable machine).

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>