I am afraid you start from the 2nd step: first you accept whatever 'we'
(humans) think as an evidence in the system we can absorb and evaluate
(explain) and then - *in the framework of that *we imagine our science.
Indeed not much more than a belief system of today.
Not too different from the so called religion, which accepts hearsay as
truth and evidence, the bible as proof and builds on such belief system. The
workings of the world are not shrinkable into such 'truth' we use as much as
we can.
The 'new evidence' - you say - that *overturns* tomorrow today's theory is
just a similar belief.
"Tentative" with a bucketful of pretension - called either scientific or
religious. Flat Earth...?

The whole idea behind my 1st post in this topic was *questioning 'evidence'
via our human restrictedness - vs the unlimit(able)ed workings of the
world*- by far not coverable by us.
We *observe* *what we can and how we can* and *explain *by *what we know*.
It was different in B.C. times, in ~1500AD, yesterday and will be different
500/5000 years from now.
And: I don't buy the nanosec as small, nature can use it as very big, and
vice versa, Brent's timespan can be a 'blinking'. Magnitude-scales are
insecure: we like our body-size median.

John Mikes