Congrats, Colin,
very interesting ideas. Some time ago I learned from you a principle that
forms an intensive part of my 'worldview': the 'mini-solipsism' i.e. the
individual views everybody has about the world - differently, as formulated
for himself from fragments received from 'reality and indiviually colored to
one's personal background and mental-built.

Now I have some remarks - not argumentative mostly (except for the 'Science
of Quale') on that beautifully crafted (short!) writing that reaped the
award.
Here it goes:

Colin Hales was named a 'winner' in the contest for 5 best and published his
 1500-word max. contest-text  -  Psyche, Volume 16, number 1 (see pdf).
 Here are some responses - as far as I could understand his ideas (?).
 (C.H. text: full line, JMresp.: indented and Italics)
----------
--"Qualia are the qualities of experience."--
Footnote:
2
------See (Tye, 2008). The word can be used when generally drawing attention
to subjective qualities of visual experience, olfactory experience,
gustatory experience, auditory experience, touch experience (including
haptic/pressure, temperature and so forth), motion proprioception,
situational emotions, primordial emotions (thirst, hunger, etc., associated
with homeostasis (Denton, 2005)), plus imagined and pathologically
originated versions of all of these.
A popular phrase is that “it is like something” to be in receipt of qualia
(Chalmers, 1996). Coined by (Lewis, 1929), there has been a semantic battle
for decades over the word, which is falling into disuse when technical
specificity is an issue. -----

    * Looks to me as a R.Rosen's 'modeling relation'-al simulacron*.

Q1:  “What kind of experiences are qualia?”
 The experiences are -qualities- encountered from a first person
perspective.
There is nothing else to a first person perspective.
This we attribute to the action of our brain: A century of physiology tells
us that all experience is - g e n e r a t e d -  in the cranial central
nervous system (CNS).

      *(???)Is there some mechanism proposed, or is it only 'attribution'? *

It is interesting to realize the brain is in excess of 99.9999999999% space,
depending on how you compute spatial occupancy by electrons and nucleons.
In essence, there is nothing left to describe in a brain except the space it
inhabits.
The dominant feature of the brain's operation is therefore actually the
spatially
expressed electric and magnetic fields, not the particulate components
(atoms). Pointing out brain chemistry therefore almost completely misses the
brain!

      *That can be translated into: we don't know A LOT about the functional
(vs: tissue)
      brain, i.e. mentality, how to describe it & its functions and the
'mental'  in general.
      My formulation instead of '(brain)-GENERATED': a '(brain)-HANDLED  *

*      (as in a tool in  'procedure' we did not discover so far).
      Also missing: an explanatory explanation about those mystical
      "spatially expressed(?) <electric and magnetic fields> (names?) -
     " WHAT they are and how do they work" in such <mind-generational>
  mood? --  *

*       As Homunculi, or just  Deus Ex Machina? (in Physics?)
*----------------------------------------
      * Then there is "Quale Science"?
As said above (C.H.),* *'qualia are experiences', nothing more.** *

* ---  However...
An experience is a personal adaptation of SOMETHING(?) (- part of the
'reality' which we cannot describe in our 'human' terms). We "get it" from
the unlimited 'reality' (as assumed) into our limited capabilities as far as
our human mind did interpret, adapt, formulate - as much as it could (of it)
-  into our personalised <solipsism> (C.H.),  i.e. everybody's personalised
worldview -  restsricted to our individual genetic build-up, personal
capabilities and past experience-infested (individual) memory-load -   and
who knows (today) what else does play in.*

*Accordingly I find it futile at best, to speak about 'science' of qualia.
Individually different items are hard to combine into 'a' scientific
paradigm. *

John M