On 7/22/2010 3:33 PM, Allen Kallenbach wrote:
          Buongiorno, Everything List!

I have been lurking here since mid-2009, and had hoped to have a better intellectual foundation to support me before I posted anything of my own, but I would really like to ask this question.

Giulio Tononi's Integrated Information Theory (IIT) states that consciousness is integrated information. In "Consciousness as Integrated Information: a Provisional Manifesto" he writes, referring to the sensor chip in a digital camera:

"In reality, however, the chip is not an^ integrated entity: since its 1 million photodiodes have no way^ to interact, each photodiode performs its own local discrimination^ between a low and a high current completely independent of what^ every other photodiode might be doing. In reality, the chip^ is just a collection of 1 million independent photodiodes, each^ with a repertoire of two states. In other words, there is no^ intrinsic point of view associated with the camera chip as a^ whole. This is easy to see: if the sensor chip were cut into^ 1 million pieces each holding its individual photodiode, the^ performance of the camera would not change at all."

Considering this, can consciousness be Turing emulable? That is, can a Turing machine integrate information? I want to expand my question here, but I don't have the knowledge to do so without distracting from the main question I'm asking. So, all I can say is, details greatly appreciated!

     - Allen

Consciousness as Integrated Information: a Provisional Manifesto (/Tononi/ G 2008):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19098144

Qualia: The Geometry of Integrated Information (/Balduzzi/ D, /Tononi/ G 2009):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19680424

Sure. Consider a Mars Rover. It has a camera with many pixels. The voltage of the photodetector of each pixel is digitized and sent to a computer. The computer processes the data and recognizes there is a rock in its path. The computer actuates some controller and steers the Rover around the rock. So information has been integrated and used. Note that if the information had not been used (i.e. resulted in action in the environment) it would be difficult to say whether it had been integrated or merely transformed and stored.