Agreed, but I would point out that the answer to the question of the existence
of numbers is the truth value of a logical proposition about the ideas we call
"number" and "existence". And if you bring a definition of number in terms of
other ideas such as "successor", then you are simply restating the logical
propositions in terms of other ideas.

Most logical propositions about what we usually call reality are meaningless.
Those that are meaningful are those that have to do, ultimately, with your
present perceptions and set of beliefs about the universe. As such, their truth
value depends on who you are and what you choose to do.
--
Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.

On Jul 29, 2010 6:36 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>