Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>     On 7/29/2010 10:25 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

>         On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Mark Buda <her...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> ... I do understand that the existence of the physical universe leads
> to minds, and the minds lead to the existence of ideas of math, but consider
> that both are objectively real, how does the universe's existence lead to the
> objective existence of math, when math is infinite and the physical universe
> is
> finite? (at least the observable universe).

Your physical observable universe is finite in space, but not
necessarily in time. Besides, the "observable universe" is an
ill-defined concept. An observer a million light-years away from you
sees a different observable universe - where does it end? For that
matter - if your body were a million light-years across, wouldn't that
make the boundary of your observable universe a little unclear?

Put another way, suppose the universe is X seconds old. That would make
your observable universe a sphere X light-seconds in radius, right?
Where, exactly, would you locate the center of that sphere? Probably
somewhere in your body... but where, exactly? And assuming you come up
with a point in space, why did you choose that point over any other?

> ... I am interested in how the approach that numbers/math are only
> ideas handles such questions.

It fails, because there are other ideas than numbers. Love, for
instance. God, for another. If you believe God does not exist, or that
there is insufficient evidence, then I would suggest that you have the
wrong idea of what the symbol "God" means, and have insufficiently
considered the possibility that you are God.

I'm not sure how love or God would be represented mathemaatically, but I
have some ideas about that.
--
Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.