Stephen

Thanks for the quote and the link - and your own thoughts, of course.
Yes, I've always had the queasy feeling that most of what is generally
accepted to be manifest from God's perspective is actually acquired by
bare-faced, if mostly unconscious, metaphysical larceny.  But this
theft has been so regularly and blithely perpetrated by so many
people, with such impeccable credentials, that I am still inclined at
times to suspect some residual misunderstanding or naivety on my own
part.  I suppose that evolution has equipped us with such an
instinctive commitment to naturalism that it has become like one of
those insidious computer viruses that resists attempts to eliminate it
by immediately re-creating itself.

In some ways, the notorious "hard problem" might be less
controversially recast in the form of the question: Given the
metaphysical posit of some pole of maximal fragmentation, what is the
genesis and metaphysical status of its composite counter-poles?  After
all, nobody, even the most ardently committed "eliminativist", seeks
to controvert the manifest relevance of the "counter-poles", even
whilst being quite blind to the questions begged by their uncritical
assumption.  And in the absence of any intelligible possibility of an
"outside view", the answer, as you correctly state, must be
inextricably bound up with "what it is like to be an observer in our
world".  Under such constraint, it can hardly remain controversial
that all observational evidence must somehow be obtained "from the
inside" - after all, where else is there?  Rather, what seems to
require explication is how micro- and macro-scopic poles interweave in
the synthesis of an apparently stable, shared composite world.

David