On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I did read your preceeding message.  And what I got out of it is that
>> if you consistently apply your evaluative criteria, you should
>> conclude that physicalism, platonism, deism, theism, arithmetical
>> realism and all other metaphysical theories that reduce conscious
>> experience to some sort of underlying rule-governed framework are
>> irrefutable and thus valueless.
>

> You're the one saying that.

You are correct, I seem to be the only one saying that if you apply
your evaluative criteria consistently, then your charge against
idealist accidentalism applies equally to physicalism and the rest.

> The problem with "idealist accidentalism" (like
> with sollipsism) is that you can change at will to adapt to the fact. It's
> not the case with the others (but is the case with
> theism/deism/magic/bisounours world/etc).

Physicalism is exactly as changeable as idealistic accidentalism.
That was the point of my earlier response to you.

What new fact could possibly refute physicalism??? (or mathematical
platonism, or whatever)

Keep in mind that idealistic accidentalism is an alternative to
physicalism, not to quantum field theory.

Physicalism just being the thesis that that everything which exists is
no more extensive than its physical properties; that there are no
kinds of things other than physical things.

So, what new data couldn't be interpreted as being consistent with that?

An idealistic accidentalist would take an instrumentalist view of
quantum mechanics.  As opposed to some form of scientific realism that
a physicalist might support.