Hi Stephen,

On 01 Oct 2010, at 08:22, Stephen P. King wrote:

Hi Bruno,

This is very exciting to me as it gives me some hope that the Stone duality idea will work as it is envisioned. I found several papers that discussed Scattered Topologies and the definition fits the idea that a dust is the dual of a Boolean algebra. Such as:

www.jstor.org/stable/2274571
www.normalesup.org/~cornulier/CGPab.pdf
www.phil.uu.nl/preprints/preprints/PREPRINTS/preprint282.pdf

That paper by Beklemishev is a very interesting paper, thanks. Ir pursues the work by Esakia on GL (G) on GLB which is a multimodal generalization of G. In GLB you can axiomatize some dialog between ZF and PA. Also interesting are the self-reference logics of the autonomous progression (a "line" of consistent extensions, studied by Beklemishev, notably. This should also admit 'scattered topological semantics'.

The complement of the diagonal of the Julia set defines the Mandelbrot set, I think. The Mandelbrot set is another structure which classify dusts from connected spaces(*), it would be nice to find a semantics of G/G* related to this. The diamond is the derivative, d is del, the B little schroedinger equation p -> BDP, which makes possible a notion of quantization on the sigma_1 proposition, would be a sort of derivative!

I will try to find some more time to read your long post, and (most probably) comment it. Thanks for making my poor brain boiling up! :)

Have a good week-end,

Bruno

(*) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2pzEN_4pug

www.mrlonline.org/jot/2010-063-002/2010-063-002-012.pdf

My intension is to see if we can run Pratt's idea to get a way to model dynamics in this way. Think of dust scattered in empty space as moving randomly; how does the change in the relative distances and so forth of the dusts dualize to transitions from one form of a Boolean algebra to another? Pratt gives us a toy model that I need to generalize. He wrote in http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/ ratmech.pdf :

"When we unravel the primitive causal links contributing to secondary causal interaction we find that two events, or two states, communicate with each other by interrogating all entities of the opposite type. Thus event a deduces that it precedes event b not by broaching the matter with b directly, but instead by consulting the record of every state to see if there is any state volunteering a counterexample. When none is found, the precedence is established. Conversely when a Chu space is in state x and desires to pass to state y, it inquires as to whether this would undo any event that has already occurred. If not then the
transition is allowed."

We then need to work out the kinds of transitions that could occur following this method and the invariants under those transitions to recover the symmetry groups that relate to those transitions and invariances. The eventual goal is to show that all of the symmetry groups that we associate with physical systems, even general covariance of General relativity, can be derived this way. There is a lot of hard work to do.

BTW, I think that it might be a mistake to assume that it is necessary to have a tensor product for the quantum orthoalgebras as discussed in the quote below. I think that all that might be necessary is some finite approximation to it over a large collection of "semi-separate" quantum systems. My idea for that involves finding a way to define something like strata or layers within which the notion of "separate systems" is valid to some finite approximation. I will get back to this when we talk about the problem of matter (and space!) that you mentioned in your reply to my paper post.

Onward!

Stephen P. King