on 02.02.2011 11:00 Stathis Papaioannou said the following:
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Brent Meeker<meeke...@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

I think it very likely that the brain can be so modeled.  But the
meaning that simulated brain, as expressed in it's output decisions
relative to inputs is dependent on the rest of the world, or at
least of it with which the brain will interact - including the past
evoutionary history which led up to the brain.  Its computations
have no canonical interpretation in themselves.

You can connect the simulated brain to transducers which convert
environmental inputs into electrical signals. But then, what would
happen if the same electrical signals were input from data on disk
rather than the environment? Would the brain's experience be
different? If so, how would it know where the data was coming from?

I believe that at this point the Chalmers' paper

David Chalmers, The Matrix as Metaphysics
http://consc.net/papers/matrix.pdf

could be useful. We can assume MAT or we can assume MEC, but this brings no changes in my personal life. I have to do the same things, for example I have to earn money to be able further to try to understand what comp is. If money are over than I am in trouble, either I am in the Matrix or not.

Evgenii

http://blog.rudnyi.ru