On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stathis,
> "upload the human brain?????"
>
> I suppose (and hope) you are talking about the wider meaning of "brain", not
> the physiological tissue (fless) figment the 2002 medical science tackles
> with in our crania. THAT extended brain which is ready to monitor (report?)
> unexpect(able)ed mental functions, as I wrote: e.g. the difference in
> meaning between "I missed you yesterday" vs. "I hate broccoli".
> Not just mAmp-s and tissue-encephalograms.
> We know so little about our (extendable?) mental functions, every second may
> bring novelty into it, so where would you draw the line for the 'upload'? at
> yesterday's inventory?

Imagine that you are an alien scientist who encounters humans for the
first time and you don't realise that they have minds. You do,
however, notice that the humans behave in complex ways, and that their
behaviour seems to be controlled by electrical impulses originating in
the brain. So you set yourself the task of making a computer model of
the matter in the brain, using your advanced scanning techniques to
determine its precise composition, and your advanced knowledge of
computational chemistry. That model programmed into a computer is
called a brain upload. You can run it and predict what the human would
do in various situations: if you poked him with a sharp stick, if you
asked him a certain question, if you withheld food from him for a
certain period. You would run the model and do the experiment in the
real human to see if they match up. If they don't, then there is a
problem with your model, and you have to examine the brain more
closely or do more research into computational chemistry to rectify
it.

--
Stathis Papaioannou